Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Waiting Game

Apparently I'm not a very patient person. I'm definitely not good at waiting. Every year at Christmas I would snoop around the house until I found my presents, or if I never found them, I would carefully open then rewrap those that were already under the tree. Yes, I'm that impatient. Pregnancy killed me, talk about a long wait, 40 weeks could not go by fast enough for me to get to hold my baby in my arms. In fact, for each I was able to con the ob into inducing a little early. Tears helped.
This week I've been awaiting the diagnosis of the mass that was removed Tuesday morning. Thanks to my wonderful doc, we do know it is cancerous. Let me say, I know I did not paint him in very good light, but he really is an excellent surgeon. I had worked with him in the OR at All Saints and knew full well what I was getting when I chose him. No personality, excellent skill. I'll take it. Anyway, we just are waiting to see what our treatment options are. I know these things for sure. God is in control, first and foremost. The surgeon was able to remove the entire mass with clear margins, and he removed lymph nodes in the area that were all clear. These are all very good things. We are waiting now to see if I must have any follow-up radiation. Which brings us back to waiting, my next appointment is Monday morning, unless my surgeons office gets a copy of the path report sooner and his nurse promised she'll call and get me in before the weekend if that happens. Well, here's the thing, just like Christmas, I couldn't wait. So I called in a favor and had a mole in the hospital leak a copy of the path report to me. So this afternoon I'm gonna call his nurse and beg for an appointment tomorrow so we can discuss treatment options.
My surgeon, mister personality, is soon to find out, I'm not good at waiting.
I'll share one last thing I've learned in the past couple of days. Well, I admit I already knew this professionally, but now I've learned the lesson personally as well. Dr. Google is not a friend. Even as a nurse and using reparable sites available to clinical personnel. I need to stop, wait, be patient and discuss with my surgeon. I'm getting ahead of myself with all the reading I'm doing.
Thanks for all the prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment